Hi, I'm Kris.

Welcome to Meet My Camera, the blog.

Chances you are here because you know someone who loves their portraits, or me, or both.

Look around. Enjoy. Call me for your own.

Friday

My Grandfather's gift to me

Untitled-3

My Grandfather left us few physical reminders of his life here.

We recently received his history as written by himself, cut short by his death.

He drove a jeep in the war, amongst other things.
(That is a story for a whole other post)

It's from this side of the family I got the trigger happy shutter finger.
My Father and his Father were photographers.

After he passed my grandmother gave me a box of his cameras.

It was years ago, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.

One of them had been dropped in the ocean
(for non-cameras people...that is a slow and painful death for a camera)
that was kept as parts for it's replacement.
Luckily for me I had it...the "replacement" had a specially made eye piece so he wouldn't have to wear glasses and I had a few rolls of blurry pictures before figuring out it wasn't my focus, but replacing a tiny piece of glass that made everything right as rain.

There was this very cool looking medium format camera.
The one that has the accordian hood.
My Dad and I spent a week trying to close the dang thing once we opened it.

There was a roll of film in it that had long since gone bad.

So I got a roll, loaded it and took a few pictures LAST FALL and it has since sat on my fireplace biding it's time.

You see, I wasn't really sure anything would come of it.

This last week we got everything developed and they turned out!
It's a miracle.
In my head I was ready to be dissapointed,
but these are horribly beautiful.

Grainy,
underdeveloped,
scratched,
light leaks galore,
blurry.

And I love every one of them.

I've got another roll of film and I'm pretty sure it won't take half of the year to get it developed.


Untitled-4

Untitled-10

1 comment:

Matt said...

this post recollected me memoirs and photographs written and pasted by our grandfather in a copy of this book, that me and my sister gave on last christmas. I think, everyone should be given this book in elderly age so that it will help future generations know about their lifestyle and profession and many more things.